Friday, February 13, 2015

Postmodern Musics: Paper Day

This week in PoMo we all wrote and read and discussed "papers" about various thoughts and themes and ideas that have arisen from our readings and musings and conversings thus far in the semester. It was a highly enjoyable couple of hours made only slightly less enjoyable by the fact that my cold really picked up steam as the class progressed.

At this point I want to discuss briefly something that I've noticed as I've gone about this project for about a month now. My goal at the outset was not to actively look for connections between the things people say and musical associations, but I've found that the more I make note of these associations, the more readily they come to mind. And not just in PoMo. I'm drawing connections between music and the world around me so often that it's almost like my life has a soundtrack, but the DJ who's controlling it can't listen to more than a few bars of a given song before it switches to something else. My life has become an expansive play of musical intertextuality and I rather enjoy it. As I go about my life I feel rather like this:





and it's great. Anyway, on to the musics.

First, let me say that because I've been tracking music in this class I decided it was fitting that I talk about music in the paper that I wrote. The 2 songs I used were:

"Come Together" - The Beatles



and "Free Jazz" - Ornette Coleman


As I wrote the paper I listened to "Free Jazz" a couple of times and I feel like I gained a greater appreciation for that subgenre of jazz music that I ever have before.

And the musical associations from the day's discussion:

"Let It Go" - Idina Menzel, from the Frozen soundtrack
"like a fractal"




"Disturbia" - Rihanna
"Utopias that are actually disturbias" (Jenny actually said "dystopias" not "disturbias," but my cold-addled brain heard "disturbias" so, yep.)




"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones
"And yet the satisfaction..." 




"I Wanna Talk About Me" - Toby Keith
"I like that you talk about...time" 




"So What" - Miles Davis
"So what."






"Cotton Eye Joe" - Rednex
"Where it was going was..." 




"The Impression That I Get" - The Might Mighty Bosstones
"like the feeling that I get when I'm reading poetry"



"Wannabe" - Spice Girls
"Tell me what you want"




Additional musics mentioned or brought up by others in the class:

"Heavy Metal Drummer" - Wilco
Michael mentioned that this song popped into his head during a part of our discussion. I wasn't familiar with it myself, but I'm glad he brought it up because me gusta.



"All the Small Things" - Blink 182
This was the title of Jenny's paper.






No comments:

Post a Comment