Monday, April 27, 2015

Two Months of Postmodern Musics

So...life happened and I got real behind with the whole recounting of my postmodern music association project. Through it all I've been keeping track of the musics, I just haven't found the time to post them. (When I say I've been keeping track, I seem to have lost my record of one of the paperday weeks. alas.) I was going to create separate posts for each of the days, but then I thought, "meh." So here goes. One big ol' long post filled with two months worth of postmodern musical associations.

For those who've forgotten how this works, I list the song title and artist, and underneath, in italics, the word or phrase that was spoken in class that hit the play button in my head on that particular song.

Also, today I came into class with this song in my head:


So here's a picture of the Bangles to go along with it.


And off we go:

March 2, 2014

"In Time" - Robbie Robb
"The democracy protests in the streets..."




"Self-perpetuating Fun Loop" - Bass Clef
“It skews the number of panels dedicated to technical and professional writing, which becomes self-perpetuating…” 




"The Way You Look Tonight" - Frank Sinatra
“I’ll probably go again...someday.” 




March 9, 2015

"Jaded" - Aerosmith
"Maybe I'm just jaded now."




"A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke
"Instilling this idea that change is possible."




"Money, Money, Money" - ABBA
"Is it money, or is it...?"




"Talkin' 'Bout a Revolution" - Tracy Chapman
"My question of revolution was pointed."




"What a Girl Wants" - Christina Aguilera
"What audiences want, what consumers want, is..."




"Someday, Someway" - Marshall Crenshaw
"Being aware that is could change someday"




"Say" - John Mayer
"Unpack this and say what you mean."




"What Is Love" - Haddaway
"What is trust?"



April 6, 2015


"Hazy Shade of Winter" - The Bangles
“I think about their relationship to time”




"September" - Earth Wind and Fire
“Remember how I’ve…” 




"On my mind" - New Found Glory
“It’s just been on my mind.” 




"Come Out and Play" - The Offspring
“We’re already separate.”




"Moves Like Jagger" - Maroon 5
“The moves are clearly identifiable”




"Point of Know Return" - Kansas
“At the point of integration”




"Chicago, (adult contemporary easy listening version)" - Sufjan Stevens
“We’re just digging it up, in our minds”




 "So What" - Miles Davis
“Yeah, Yik Yak, so what?”




"I Heard a Rumor" - Bananarama
and
"Rumor Has It" - Adele
“How rumor functions the same way” 






"Take On Me" - A-Ha
“Part of the reason postmodernism can take on…” 




"Too Much Time On My Hands" - Styx
“We're wasting too much time.” 



April 13, 2015

"What's Up" - 4 Non Blondes
"What's going on?"




"They Don't Care About Us" - Michael Jackson
"We know you don't care about us."




"You're the Voice" - John Farnham
"Everyone can have a voice."





"Were You There?" - as played by Jon Schmidt
"Where you there?"





"Good Vibrations" - Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
"The vibrations aid digestion."





"Toxic" - Britney Spears
"...incredibly toxic to women."





"Super Mario Bros theme" - um...nintendo?
so...I don't actualy know where this one came from. I just have written "Mario Theme." My guess is it just popped into my head without any rhyme nor reason and I, being the faithful recorder of all the musics that pop into my head during class, had to write it down.





"Both Sides Now" - Joni Mitchell
"Both of these things existing."





"How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" - Sound of Music
"How does one pin down the unconscious?" 





"Don't Know Much" - Aaron Neville & Linda Ronstadt
"I don't know anything."





"Be Here Now" - Mason Jennings
"This event. Here. Now."





"I've Got the Power" - Snap!
"What if I had the power..."





April 20, 2015

"Return to Innocence" - Enigma
“There’s a lot of return to spirituality”




"Particle Man" -They Might Be Giants
“When a frog’s in the water is he part of the water”




"Ice Ice Baby" – Vanilla Ice
“We would stop…existing”




"Sunrise, Sunset" - Fiddler on the Roof
“It makes for dramatic sunrises and sunsets.”




"Head Over Heels" – Tears for Fears
“That person’s a heel.”




"Hungry like the wolf" - Duran Duran
“One or several wolves.”




"It’s a Great Day to Be Alive" – Travis Tritt
“A lone wolf is so rare because a lone wolf cannot exist.”



April 27, 2015

"We’ve Only Just Begun" - Carpenters
“I feel like we haven’t even started”




"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - Rolling Stones
The word satisfaction was said many, many times




"Take My Breathe Away" - Berlin
"Catch my breath a little bit on that one"




"The Golden Age" - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
"I have a friend going into new age stuff."




"We Used to Wait" - Arcade Fire
"I would wait."




"Hell" - Squirrel Nut Zippers
"She's talking about mediums and the afterlife."




"Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" - Journey
"What separates narrative poetry from fictional narrative?"




"Masquerade" - Phantom of the Opera
"At least it's not masquerading as..."




"I Need to Know" - Marc Anthony
"I think I need to know which bits of this project..."




"Octopus's Garden" - The Beatles
"Do you remember the children's show 'The Magic Garden'?" 

1 comment:

  1. Who said, "Unpack this and say what you mean" ?
    I will need to reference that in coming days.

    ReplyDelete