Monday, January 26, 2015

Postmodern Musics - Erasure

That title should probably say "sous rature" rather than erasure, since that's the word/phrase that Heidegger and Derrida used in the original. But we read an English translation which translated sous rature as "erasure" (and used it often). I bet you can't guess what musics are going to be leading us off today.

But first, it snowed last night. I try to keep an upbeat attitude about the snow, especially considering this winter hasn't been anywhere near as awful as the Arctic Death Freeze of 2014. All the same, I felt a little like this going into PoMo today:


In fact, the social significance of snow and ice was mentioned today in class, if only in passing, so my attempt to insert Gilmore Girls into my post turned out to be relevant after all.

So in case it wasn't already clear, for PoMo today we read some Derrida. We also read about intertextuality and a brief(ish) introduction to what postmodernism is. We talked about a lot of different things in class today like nihilism and meaning and language and whether social context and history and more that I don't want to get into right. But that's not why I'm writing this post. I'm writing to talk about the music that popped into my head throughout our three hour long discussion. Be warned, there were more this time than there were last week.

I know I said with my last post that I wouldn't provide lengthy explanations of why these songs came to mind, but I've decided that I'll at least provide the word or phrase that provided the trigger.

So, in order of occurrence, here goes:

Erasure -  A Little Respect 

Okay, I know I said that I won't be providing much explanation for why these songs came to my head, but I have to say that this song was a recurring theme throughout class because every time someone said the word "erasure", my brainPod hit repeat. So really this song should be on today's list 6 or 8 times.



Power - Kanye West 

"schizoid"



Grand Illusion - Styx

"complete confusion"



It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones

"It's not unusual..."



Take My Breath Away - Berlin

"You just took her breath away."



Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles

"Time, time..."



Don't Know Much - Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville

"I don't know much..."



Just You Wait - Audrey Hepburn & Marni Nixon

"Oh just wait until..."



Bonus Track: Brick House - The Commodores

 

This song didn't pop into my head during class, but as I was doing the reading the word bricolage brought it to the fore time and again.






No comments:

Post a Comment